This is a note for my future reference.
zone example.com/IN: journal rollforward failed: journal out of sync with zone
zone example.com/IN: not loaded due to errors.
While named isn’t running, remove the
.jnl file for the example.com zone. It will be in the same directory as the zone files. Restart named and the error should be gone.
This error occurs if you have dynamic entries (say pushed by in by a DHCP server or other automatic mechanism) in a zone and then also change the zone files on disk (say deploying updates from a manual edit).
To prevent this in the future, freeze a zone before changing the zone file, then thaw after.
rndc freeze example.com
rndc reload example.com
rndc thaw sxample.com
Where I learned about this: thedumbterminal.co.uk
How to convert audio format in a video file:
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab 448k output.mkv
I liked last.fm’s irccat as an easy way to post events (task completion and errors) to an IRC channel. I was less crazy about the recommendation to use ant to execute it. When I moved it to a OpenVZ VPS that used venet, it stopped working reliably. I’ve actually had trouble with quite of few Java services on that sort of VPS. So, I wrote my own in python, and it can be found on github and PyPI.
An added benefit is that much less memory is now used as well.
In January, Google said:
“With the launch of CardDAV, it’s now possible to build a seamless sync experience using open protocols (IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV) for Gmail, Google Calendar and Contacts. We’ll start rolling out this change as planned across all platforms.” (citation)
Yesterday, Google said they would be moving CalDAV support to whitelisted only on September 16, 2013, and that new developers should use their propriatary API (citation).
Removing an entire service, like Google Reader is fair enough, but open standards access, like CalDAV, from products that are used by default with most new phone and tablets sold is low.
Removing Google Reader made me glad I never switched to it. Removing CalDAV support makes me want to renew my efforts not to use Google services beyond search.
Does anyone know if aCal is still read only?
I’ve long had a suspicion that I should just switch to Google Reader instead of continuing to develop my own feed2 reader software (found on github).
Today’s news that Google Reader is being shut down makes me feel rather vindicated. I may even decide to push forward and make an Android client now like I’ve been thinking of doing.
The upgrade from LibreOffice 3.6 to 4.0 on Windows wants you to reboot the computer. I expected better of free software.
It is night time. David is in bed. Deb is sitting next to him reading a book titled “Hey! Wake Up!“
I got sick of Java updates on Windows trying to trick me into installing McAfee or the Ask toolbar, so I went searching for a solution. I found a different build of Java from Oracle that solves the issue.
Go to this page: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
Click on the top Download button in the JRE column.
Accept the License Agreement, then choice to download Windows x86 Offline.
This can then be installed and it will not try to get you to install crapware. It can even be installed from the command line without requiring any further user interaction (see: http://java.com/en/download/help/silent_install.xml).
I want to see a 100% open source android distro. The first pass could be AOSP or CyanogenMod without the closed source GApps. F-Droid would be pre-installed, along with a selection of basic apps like K9 Mail and aCal.
I found this post: http://www.jethrocarr.com/2012/01/04/100-pure-freedom-phone/ talking about the same thing, but I don’t see anyone who is actually doing it.
I just upgraded from PostgreSQL 8.3 to 9.2. In doing so, I also went from a Sun optimized build (since I installed their supplied version before) to a self built version where I didn’t fiddle with optimization at all (the documentation suggests -O5, but I let it go with the default of -O3). Despite the lazy build, it seems a lot faster in terms of the queries some of my python code executes.